Thinking of new ways to explore your creativity? Try creating epoxy resin coasters! Whether it is for your home or a gift for someone special, coasters will instantly beautify any place. And the best part is that they are also super useful!
That being said, get your inspo from us and let’s see how to make resin coasters that will wow your guests. And for a more visual approach, don’t forget to check out our short and simple YouTube video.
Tools you need
To get started with epoxy coasters, you will need a few basic tools:
- Roxy Epoxy 16oz resin kit (contains resin, hardener, gloves, wooden sticks, measuring cups)
- wax paper
- blow dryer
- shoebox or plastic bin (to protect molds from dust while they harden)
- resin fillers: dried flowers, leaves, glitter, etc.
- mica powder colors or pigment paste
- silicone resin molds
How to prepare the epoxy resin
First things first, you’ll need to prepare the epoxy resin accordingly. Follow these 3 simple steps to obtain the perfect resin:
Heat the resin prior to use. To achieve the perfect resin, put both bottles included in the kit in hot water for 30-35 minutes at a temperature of 122°F (50°C). This will help the resin mix nicely and avoid air bubbles. After the contents of the bottles have warmed up completely, let them cool down until they have returned to room temperature.
Warning: Handle hot water with caution. Do not bring water to a boil (212°F/100°C).
Pour equal parts of resin and hardener into the measuring cup. Using a clean stick, mix thoroughly for 3-7 minutes. The mixture has to become transparent. If desired, add colored powders at this stage.
- Pour the composition into the shape or surface of your choice and let it dry for at least 24 hours in a dust-free environment.
How to make coasters with epoxy resin
Now that we’ve covered the epoxy resin prep, let’s see how we can create beautiful coasters.
- Start mixing the resin as directed above. Don’t forget to cover your workspace with wax paper and take all the necessary precautions such as wearing gloves and a mask.
- Pour a little of the resin into each mold. Cover up the molds with your dust cover and leave them to cure for at least 24 hours.
- Peel off the coaster and enjoy a smooth and shiny finish underneath.
For tips on how to embed objects in your resin coasters, read below.
How to make resin coasters with flowers
Flowers can add a special touch to your resin projects. Depending on the type of flower you want to use, drying it can take a long time, but will give you beautiful flowers for arrangements, and other artistic uses.
The first thing you need to know is that you cannot use fresh flowers as they are organic and can turn brown and rot. You will need to dry them completely before you use them.
How to dry flowers
For flowers that are not super delicate such as roses, carnations, gerber daisies, or lavenders, you can use the hang dry method:
- Harvest your flowers at peak bloom.
- Gather your flowers into small bouquets and hang the drying flowers upside down for two weeks.
- Remember that the process should happen in a dark place, out of the reach of children and pets.
You can also dry flowers using silica gel. Silica gel is a water-absorbing agent and is great for preserving flowers in a slightly quicker manner.
- Find containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Pour a bit of the silica gel into the bottom of your container and place your flowers in the container upright, sitting them gently on the silica gel at the bottom.
- Sprinkle the rest of your silica gel over the top of the flowers, making sure it covers every bit until you can't see them anymore.
- Seal the container tightly and leave for 5-7 days.
- Take them out carefully and shake all of the silica gel out of the petals.
Another way to dry flowers is to press them between the pages of a thick book for 7-10 days.
To create coasters with flowers, follow the steps above and then:
- Let the mix cure for 15 minutes after pouring the epoxy resin into the molds.
- After that, add the dried flowers to the coasters. Use tweezers to place each flower onto the top of the resin. When you’re done, let them cure for 4 hours.
- Mix a second batch of epoxy resin and pour a second layer over the flowers until the mold is almost filled to the top.
- Let everything cure for 24-48 hours and then remove each coaster from the mold.
If bubbles rise during the process, use a heat gun to pop them.
How to make puzzle coasters
If you love the idea of a puzzle coaster set that fits together and can be grouped on a table, follow these tips to create one yourself:
- Buy an already shaped mold or 4 of the same mold pieces. Place them together to form a shape.
- After mixing the resin as explained above, pour the first batch of epoxy resin into the molds and let it cure for 4 hours.
- Use mica powder or pigment paste and color around the edges, spreading the pigments evenly around the shape. For a little something extra, you can also sprinkle ignition dust on the surface.
- Pour the rest of the resin on top. Try to spread it as evenly as possible.
- Let everything cure for at least 24 hours before unmolding.
And voilà! You have your puzzle coasters! Note that it is best to wait a few more days until you place something hot on them.
Can something go wrong?
There are a few things you need to pay extra attention to.
If you notice that the resin is still bendable when unmolding, do not try to remove it. It is better to wait a bit more so you won’t end up having a crooked coaster with an uneven surface. To extend the life of your mold and so it won’t become brittle, you can also use a mold release product.
When making coasters, preparation is always key to a successful project. Make sure you have all of your materials ready and have read the instructions thoroughly. Remember to work in a well-ventilated environment and to wear the required protective gear, including gloves and a mask.